Sunday, December 26, 2010

Getting started

My interest in sous vide cooking started with my first (and so far only) visit to the French Laundry. I'd received the French Laundry cookbook as a gift many years ago and have had to content myself with cooking recipes from the cookbook since several years of calling for reservations had been fruitless. Waiting in the reception area with a cocktail in hand, I was excited to see a new French Laundry cookbook on the table. That excitement lasted long enough for me to read a few pages and realize it wasn't as much a new cookbook as it was a new way of cooking.

My wife and I were given a tour of the kitchen after lunch and the kitchen was eerily quiet. Mostly there seemed to be clear tubs of water with plastic bags with food floating in them. It all seemed so futuristic like the white robed men were there cloning life forms from dna samples.

After some research into what it would take to get started with sous vide cooking, I felt resigned. The equipment was out of my price point.

Fast forward 18 months... I've discovered some points in my credit card that I can redeem at William Sonoma. And so my sous vide adventure begins.

2 comments: